The 2020 Builder Challenge Powered by CTEK
Six of the Nation's Top Builders Vying For Fan Votes in Online Contest
Six of the nation’s most talented auto builders will put their skills, mechanical know-how, and incredible designs to the test in the 2020 Builders Challenge powered by CTEK. Members of the public will be able to vote online for their favorite build.
Traditionally, the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) Show draws thousands of visitors to Las Vegas where auto builders and innovators can showcase their custom-built vehicles. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 SEMA Show has become an online-only virtual SEMA 360 Show.
“This year has been like no other, but just because we’re not in Las Vegas for SEMA doesn’t mean our passion for cars and great builds has diminished,” said Bobbie DuMelle, Executive Vice President of CTEK North America. “We know builders have spent countless hours this year working on their builds, and we wanted to celebrate that hard work.”
The competition includes everything from hot rods to overland-style builds with the age of the builds spanning more than 85 years - from a 1933 Plymouth to a 2020 Jeep Gladiator.
“We’ve been amazed by these one-of-a-kind builds,” said DuMelle. “They’re all unique, but the one thing they have in common is they all rely on CTEK battery chargers.”
CTEK’s smarter battery chargers charge and maintain vehicle batteries which makes them the perfect build accessory.
Build vehicles are enhanced with high-tech lighting, audio systems, gadgetry, and more, meaning battery care is a crucial component. CTEK chargers ensure builders have battery power they can rely on whether they’re in the shop or at a show.
Six builders representing nine different vehicles will compete in the 2020 Builder Challenge powered by CTEK. Those competing include:
- Gerbie “Ger” Reyes, of Murrieta, CA, will compete with his 2001 Honda S2000, a build he says was inspired by fighter jets. “It turns heads wherever it goes,” said Reyes.
- Jason Ludwin, of Rodz By Ludwin, in Fort Johnson, N.Y., will showcase his 1936 Ford Sedan. “I’m taking a 1930s car and making it look like it’s supposed to be a 4-wheel drive overland vehicle.”
- TJ Russell, of Russell Built Fabrication, in Sun Valley, CA., has two entries in the contest. His 1933 Plymouth was once driven onscreen by Denzel Washington, while his 1991 Porsche Baja 911 pay tribute to Porsche’s off-road racing history.
- Carlos Molina, of Projekt Cars, in El Paso, Texas, is competing with three different builds. The pink-themed 2020 Jeep Gladiator features Marvel Spider-Gwen artwork, while his 2018 Ford F-250 entry is a “very aggressive” truck built to be driven. His 2018 BMW 335i features a wide-body kit and a matte paint job “so good people think it’s a wrap,” said Molina.
- Tony Arme, of American Legends, in Phoenix, Ariz., has created a 1969 Dodge Charger he calls a “high-performance vehicle with a lot of upgrades.”
- John Wargo, of The Custom Shop, in Flanagan, IL, likes “wild and outlandish stuff” and his 1967 Chevy Nova fits the build. The paint scheme gives the car a wow factor. “I like to do a lot of dimensions in the paint, and there are hidden graphics within the graphics,” he said.
The builders and their vehicles will be introduced on CTEK’s social media and www.smartercharger.com website the week of Oct. 26-31. Fans will have a chance to view the builds and read more about the builders and their inspiration.
Voting in the 2020 Builders Challenge powered by CTEK will open here on Monday, Nov. 2 and continue through Friday, Nov. 6. The winning builder, as selected by the fans, will receive a CTEK prize package. One lucky voter, drawn at random, also will receive a CTEK prize.
ABOUT CTEK, INC.
- CTEK is a leading global brand in the care and maintenance of vehicle batteries. CTEK's unparalleled knowledge and continuous investment in innovation means they push the boundaries of research and development to bring new and unique battery charging technologies to the global market.
- CTEK offers the market high-quality, reliable chargers and accessories that are effective, easy to use (plug and play) and, most importantly, safe (for the user, the vehicle electronics, the battery, and the charger).
- With products and solutions for 6, 12 & 24 volt lead-acid & lithium (12 V LiFePO4) as well as Electrical Vehicle batteries, CTEK products are designed and tested to deliver maximum performance for all battery charging needs.
- CTEK sells over one million battery chargers each year across the globe and regularly tops the chart in independent battery charger tests.
- CTEK supplies chargers to the world’s most recognized manufacturers including Audi, Bentley, BMW, Camaro, Cadillac, Corvette, Ferrari, Ford, Jaguar, Maserati, McLaren, Mercedes, Porsche, and Rolls-Royce.
- For more information about CTEK, INC. visit www.ctek.com
Bobbie DuMelle, Executive Vice President
CTEK North America