5 Things that Will Drain Your Battery
Battery care is a very big part of vehicle maintenance. Understanding what draws on your battery can help you be more aware of overall battery health. This, coupled with the use of a battery charger and maintainer such as the CTEK MXS 5.0 can keep you on the road, with no worry at all times!
The Causes of Battery Drain
- Let’s start with the obvious, you left your vehicle’s lights on. Many newer vehicles have a feature now that will turn your lights off after a certain amount of time. However, if your vehicle does not have this feature, you need to be aware of if your head lamps are on or off before you leave your car.
- The ominous sounding “parasitic drain” Yes, we agrees that this sounds pretty awful. When your vehicle is running, the alternator recharges your battery as you drive. When your vehicle is off, the alternator cannot recharge your battery and the items such as internal lights, door lights, clock, alarm, and radio can drain your battery. This is what is known as parasitic draw.
- The dreaded corroded connections. Over time, the positive and negative terminals on your battery can become covered in corrosion. This will affect the ability of your battery to transmit power to your vehicle. It is a great practice to check your battery terminals regularly to make sure that no corrosion has formed.
- You are turning your car on and off too frequently. Since your alternator recharges your vehicle as you drive, if you let your car run long enough, you will get the full benefit of this charging process. If you frequently turn your car on and off, or take short drives, your alternator will not get the opportunity to complete charging, and this becomes a drain on your battery.
- Very hot or cold weather. When your car is stored and driven in very hot or cold temperates, this can cause the buildup of sulfate crystals. Over time, as your vehicle remains in these temperatures, this sulfate buildup can damage your battery life, leading to a drained or dead battery.
Combat Battery Drain With the MXS 5.0
Now that you have the information you need to understand what drains your battery, you can take this knowledge and couple it with another way to combat battery drain: The CTEK MXS 5.0. This battery charger provides you with a unique 8 step approach to battery care. The MXS 5.0 features capabilities for improved charging in all weather. It is the perfect charger for the user with multiple vehicle types and higher demand battery charging and maintenance requirements. The MXS 5.0 offers features such as a special reconditioning function that restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, and the charging of demanding AGM batteries (i.e. Optima). The charger is splash and dust proof, designed to protect vehicle electronics and non-sparking, reverse polarity protected, and short-circuit proof. It is delivered with a 5-year warranty. It provides an outstanding charging experience!